Social Icons

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Try This Citrus Dressing

This is a favorite new dressing of mine given to me by a sister-in-law. By making a few substitutions it becomes a reasonable dressing that doesn't load up the calories on your otherwise healthy salad.


Ingredients:
- 1/2 tsp. Grated Orange Peel
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice (use the no-sugar added brands and keep in the pulp to get the fiber benefits)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (Use canola, peanut, or olive oil to get the "healthier" fats)
- 2 Tbs. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Sugar (substitute low cal/no cal sweetener like Agave Nectar)
- 1 Tbs. Dry Italian Dressing


On my salad:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Pomegranates
- Gorgonzola cheese (by using a stronger cheese I only add a couple pinches vs. a handful of a milder one)
- Chicken TVP(I'm a texture girl and I like a little crunch. This stuff offers more protein/iron but less calories than bacon bits, croutons, or other salad toppers. I order it from Shelf Reliance.)

FYI - I did 33 burpees on my first attempt at the 2 min challenge. That was two days ago. My chest still hurts from the push-ups. I had to take a 10 second breather halfway through but I'm wondering if I drop down and do girl push-ups for that 10 seconds if I could get a few more. Not today though...ouch!

No comments: