Social Icons

Friday, October 22, 2010

Yogurt Cube Smoothie

Here's just something I came up with a couple days ago. It might not be original and I may be way behind the band wagon (not the first time) but it tasted good going down so I thought I'd share.

First I grabbed some low fat vanilla yogurt. I used Western Family (because I'm cheap) and it worked out great but go with whatever you like. Then I filled up a couple ice cube trays with the yogurt and let it freeze over night.


Tada! A bowl full of frozen goodness. I just slipped these into a freezer bag and stuck them into my freezer to wait until I felt like cranking up my smoothie machine. a.k.a. My kids aren't paying attention so I can be selfish and drink it all up myself. Hey, they get plenty of snacks...it's the Mama's turn!


So today I grabbed 5 cubes, added 1 cup skim milk and about 1/3 cup blueberries, then cranked away. I did throw in a few ice cubes to keep it slushy. Out came this delicious concoction. Blueberry bliss! My husband would've added some sugar but I thought it was pretty good. If you like it a little sweeter then add whatever sweetener you use.


If you stick with a no-fat yogurt, skim milk, and some frozen fruit, you've got a pretty healthy smoothie to slide down the pipes. ENJOY!

(I've yet to experiment with other flavored yogurt so if you have, let me know what you did!)

11 comments:

MaryAnn said...

YUM! That is an awesome idea to freeze them in cubes! I'll have to try that.

OK- now her's a recipe for you! Lately I've been making my own yogurt. Just mix 1 Tbs of plain yogurt for every 1 cup of milk (I use skim, but the thinner the milk the thinner the yogurt. I add a bit of powdered milk to thicken it up.)

Anyway- put however much you want into a glass container, stick a lid on, and then stick it in the oven with the oven light on for 8-10 hours (or overnight). In the morning you have fresh yogurt! I mix it with our home made strawberry freezer jam. YUM!

ihaverun said...

Great idea to freeze the yogurt! I'll have to try that. I LOVE a smoothie after I run!

LB said...

im going to have to try that. haley loves when i freeze go-gurts, but they are expensive for what they really are. this is a cheap way to get basically the same thing. thanks for sharing!

misszippy said...

That sounds awesome to me! I would never have thought of making the cubes--thanks for the idea.

ShutUpandRun said...

I love your smoothie idea. I'm going to steal it.

ShutUpandRun said...

I love your smoothie idea. I'm going to steal it.

PS: have never seen that brand of yogurt!

Rae said...

Yum! Looks really good!

Erika said...

That's what I eat for breakfast almost every morning! I sometimes use strawberry yogurt, strawberries, a TBL spoon of cheesecake pudding (instant fat free, sugar free kind) little water, a few ice cubes and half a grahm cracker. tastes like strawberry cheesecake!!

Teamarcia said...

Great idea!
Go ahead and repost the runbbatical challenge. : )

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm also going to add your hair to my obsessions list! I love smoothies-I will have to try the ice cube tray trick!

Christina said...

What a great idea. I'll have to try it.