Social Icons

Monday, July 26, 2010

5 Hour Energy - BUST?

I've never been one to down an energy drink for a pick-me up but there's so much RAVE going on about this little bottle that I wanted to dig in and see if the fuss is worthy of my attention.




What 5 hour energy boasts...
  • Only 4 calories
  • Packed with vitamins and nutrients
  • "Clean" energy (whatever that means) without a crash
  • ZERO sugar
  • ZERO herbal stimulants



First off, I'm skeptical because the advertisement is big on saying that this little shot of energy only packs 4 calories. Hmmm, but aren't calories what our body needs to burn energy? Also... HOLY VITAMIN B12 OVERLOAD!!! Is it healthy to drink %8333 of your % daily value in one shot? What if you're eating healthy and taking a multi-vitamin already? You could be getting over %10000 of your daily need of the B12 vitamin and I'm not sure where toxicity sets in but WOW. Finally, the drink provides the same amount of caffeine as 12 oz. of premium coffee so could the energy just come from a caffeine buzz?

I'm a big advocate eating healthy, exercising more, and hydrating adequately. I don't like to rely on other supplements for what I'm lacking in my diet. I do take a multi-vitamin because lets face it, after having 3 kids my body has taken a few hits but that's about it. If I'm feeling tired one day then instead of reaching for an energy drink I eat more protein, make sure I'm up on my fluids, and try to get to bed a little earlier.



Here's some articles from fellow skeptics...

~ 5 Hour Energy: Too Good to Be True?

~ The Real 5 Hour Energy - very informative

~ 5 Hour Energy Side Effects


and some words from 5 Hour supporters...

~ 5 Hour Energy Drinks for that Needed Boost of Energy

~ 5 Hour Energy Packs a Punch

~ 5 Hour Energy Articles


What are your thoughts?

Do you chase down a PR with the help of a 5 hour energy? Is this cheating? Does 5 hour work for you? Are you hesitant to use anything for an energy buzz? Is 5 Hour Energy just masking the symptoms of fatigue?


No comments: